NOTICE OF PROJECT COMPLETION
EAST GARDEN GROVE-WINTERSBURG
CHANNEL IMPROVEMENT PROJECT
O C T O B E R 2 0 2 0 — M A R C H 2 0 2 3
Watch our before and after video footage at:
In October 2020, OC Public Works construction crews began work on the East Garden Grove-Wintersburg Channel Improvement Project in Huntington Beach, California. As of March 2023, the project is now complete, and the channel has been transformed from its former “trapezoid” shape with sloped sides into a rectangular channel with vertical sides. Over the two-and-half-year project, the following items were completed:
• Installation of 19,400 feet of interlocking steel (sheet piles)
19,400 FEET SHEET PILES INSTALLED EQUAL TO THE LENGTH OF 54 FOOTBALL FIELDS!
- Constructed a durable barrier by installing 48,700 tons of cement mix into the soil (between rows of sheet piles).
The goals achieved by this project include:
- Implemented water quality improvements at the fence line.
- Channel modernization to current design standards.
- Increased channel capacity for controlling stormwater.
- Contributed to larger/future goal of meeting national flood insurance requirements.
Area residents watched as we mixed cement, excavated, and hammered away over the past 29 months. It was no small undertaking for our construction crews and the community’s patience and support throughout has been appreciated!
We share the pride in the completion of this project with the community, contractors, partner agencies, and the
construction and project management teams.